A Brief History of our Shed
Menai Men’s Shed (MMS) was launched on 18th August 2010 at the Alfords Pt. Community Centre as an idea of Menai Community Services. Membership gradually grew and, using mainly hand and power tools donated by members, shuffle boards and other simple device were made for local residential aged care centres.
Eventually the Shed membership outgrew the community centre facilities and in 2015 Sutherland Shire Council offered members the use of our current building on a long-term lease. This building was officially opened in July 2017. From this point the Shed has gone from strength to strength. Membership continues to grow and increased activities in the Shed means further expansion is being investigated.
The Shed has adopted a very professional management system tailored to the needs of members. This has resulted in extensive training on all machines prior to use by a member and regular safety and first aid training.
Menai Men’s Shed (MMS) operates under the Charter established by the Australians Men’s Shed Association and EEO Principles are applied.
The members of the Menai Men’s Shed acknowledge the Dharawal speaking people, traditional custodians of the land, and pays respect to elders past and present.
MMS Mission statement
The Menai Men’s Shed aims to provide a safe, comfortable, affordable, and accessible venue where men can find social support and camaraderie while engaging in meaningful projects to reduce the incidence of depression, loneliness, of mental and other illnesses.
To provide a safe and happy environment, where men are welcome to work on community projects or projects of their own choice, in their own time, where the only must is to observe safe working practices all in the spirit of mateship.
1. To contribute to a better community spirit through community service projects, and promote in the Shed the values of tolerance, respect, and friendship.
2. To provide the opportunity for men from all walks of life to meet in a safe and friendly environment while engaging in meaningful activities.
3. To develop members’ personal and practical skills and contribute to their health, social and physical wellbeing.
4. To provide recreational and social support activities for the wellbeing and health of members and their families
5. To engage in community projects for the benefit of members and the local communities.
6. To provide a safe working environment where members can pursue hobbies, interests and learn new skills and train or show other members the skills you have developed in your life, free from any form of Bullying and Harassment.
7. To promote the benefits of the Menai Men’s Shed to the local area and surrounding districts.
Some projects undertaken by the members at the MMS.
The Menai Men’s Shed has been supporting various community groups and local schools for many years. The photos below depict some of the work completed by the men at the shed in recent times.
The Menai Men’s Shed operates under an approved constitution’.
You can find us here.
(Click here to see Menai Men’s Shed on Google Map)
30 Recreation Drive, Barden Ridge, NSW 2234
Usually open between 9.00 am & 3.00 pm
Monday to Friday and some weekends.
You want to visit or join the MMS? Please contact the Duty Officer on 0435 575 388 during opening hours to arrange an appointment.
Our Facebook page also provides information https://www.facebook.com/MenaiMensShed